Creative minds exist in every facet of your workplace, and they can thrive online if paired with the right social experts. We recently sought to emphasize our unique talent through a Social Media Activation program, targeting and training our subject media experts (SMEs) to boost their social credentials. The program allowed our SMEs to expand their relations with customers – and for us to demonstrate our Social Business prowess.
Customers are increasingly turning to everyday people for their social and technical information, and we wanted to connect them with our SMEs. By combining these SMEs with experts from our Social Media & Communities University, we created a team of Super SocialSMEs (#SocialSME) armed with special Dell-branded accounts and exclusive tools to amplify and curate content.
Benefits for SMEs as social influencers:
Our SMEs demonstrated superior knowledge in a variety of topics, including Windows 8, Converged Infrastructure, High Performance Computing, Networking, and Systems Management. The activation plan sought to harness this knowledge for more than just training. Identified SMEs received additional benefits for their participation, including:
- Personal social media audit: Our social media experts worked to enhance SME personal presence, from raising a Klout score to collecting LinkedIn recommendations.
- Monthly scorecard with points system: SMEs could earn points for good online behavior, which were tracked against leaderboards to foster competition.
- Special Dell-branded social media accounts: These accounts (example: @AmyAtDell) added a personal touch to our brand.
Benefits for Dell:
By elevating these SMEs to greater social awareness, we saw significant increases in our own social properties. We were able to raise our reputation as a social-savvy business, and strengthen relationships with social influencers.
- Increased Earned Media Value: The plan generated more than $310,000 in earned media value over a six-month period.
- Engagements: We generated 2.2 engagements (retweets, mentions, comments, etc.) and 6.8 clicks per post.
- Improving employee productivity: Through active community participation, SMEs are able to improve Dell’s credibility, share of voice and sentiment around key products and services.
The Edelman Trust Barometer notes that social media has dramatically increased as a trusted resource for company information, and regular employees rank highest for credibility. We sought to utilize that trust by elevating SMEs and giving them greater influence among our audience. The plan results demonstrate how SMEs can be a valuable asset for your social strategy. Manager support was especially vital to the Super #SocialSME program, in order to maintain and nourish their alter egos.Business,Social Media