Dell and VMware set out earlier this year with the intent of achieving two simple, yet challenging goals — improve the productivity of end-users and simplify the job of running an IT department. The initiative only made sense as both companies value continued product development and listening to customers.
This summer, they took another step toward bolstering their offerings by releasing a significant set of extended capabilities for Dell’s Desktop Virtualization Enterprise Solutions for VMware Horizon View solution. The improvements designed to boost end-user productivity focus on making apps and corporate resources accessible from any device at any time. Other enhancements made with the busy IT manager in mind include added support for VMware vCenter Operations Manager for View (vCOps for View) and storage reclamation to improve the management and operational flexibility delivered in VMware desktop virtualization solutions.
A wide range of new features
These are some of the latest desktop virtualization capabilities that are designed to enhance the joint solutions based on VMware® Horizon View™:
- Support for advanced virtualized 3D graphics with NVIDIA GRID K1/K2 and Horizon View vSGA, which enables supporting more than 40 users per host server.
- User productivity enhancements via support for unified collaboration with Microsoft Lync 2013. Host server CPU utilization is improved by 28 percent when Lync is deployed with the Horizon View plug-in for Lync.
- Expanded support beyond the Dell Active System 800 platform for the newly released Dell Active Systems 50/200/1000 platforms.
- Extended use-case coverage with a new Branch Office Desktop deployment architecture that leverages Dell SonicWall WXA/Firewall technologies.
- Support for Dell Wyse D50D and Z50D thin clients in addition to supporting Dell Wyse P Series zero clients.
- A host of management and operational refinements including support for: vSphere Distributed Switch, Storage Reclamation, Storage vMotion, Windows 8 guest VMs with sizing, and the opportunity to use vCOps for View.
Please consult the DVS Enterprise for VMware View Reference Architecture for technical-qualification specifications for all the solutions mentioned. Additional background on desktop virtualization with Dell and VMware is available on Dell.com.Tags: Cloud,Technology,Virtualization